Sunday 18 July 2010

Arriving in Azerbaijan…

I arrived at Heathrow airport wondering if I would have everything I might need… only time will tell? Usual check in 30kg of luggage - only 10kg over the weight limit, not to bad everything for 6 months? £170 charge not so good!

It’s actually very easy to fly to the Azerbaijan’s capital Baku, there is a flight most days with BMI or AZAL (Azerbaijan Airways), I’m flying BMI! But for a relatively short 5½ hour economy flight £940 is a bit steep. The take off was delayed but time soon flew past with the usual naff food and inflight entertainment. The flight was ¾ empty with all the other passengers seemingly oil workers from Scotland or the North of England.

I arrived in Baku at midnight, first impression - Hot + sticky!
Entering Azerbaijan if quite easy you mostly require patients, passport stamped and off to another queue to get a 31 day VISA (you need a letter of introduction, 2 passport photos and $100).

Updated 12 month humanitarian VISA - there letting me stay!

A company driver Fikret collected me and drove straight to the Empire Hotel.
Fikret dosn’t speak much English so an excellent opportunity to practice my Russian:
Me “How is the temperature?"
Fikret “Normal”
OK, its a start!

During the drive I felt like a secret agent, a strange Russian man handed over a phone and an envelope with my name on it… inside was a note to say “here is your SIM, you will be picked up at 8.45 call if you have problems” I thank him, he grunts and that is that!

The hotel is expecting me - few! More later…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great start! They let you in the country!! What's next?!